What is it?
The ITONICS Radar is the module for displaying a rich content landscape and understanding it easily by representing multiple characteristics simultaneously by the distance to the radar center, placement in a segment, color, size, and shape.
Note: Please note that the availability of a module depends on your license. Please talk to your account manager to clarify any questions.
How does it work?
While your users will later have the option to customize the radar to their needs, you need to provide them with a default configuration. Radars can be built on top of each entity. This also means that content displayed on the radar will be always of the same entity type.
To activate the radar module, go to the Settings Wheel > Entity Configuration > Entity Configuration and open the respective entity by clicking the Edit (pen) icon. Look for the Radar card under the Modules/Features section and check the box on the left corner of the module card.
When the checkbox is marked, the card will change the layout color from light grey to the system color. Do not forget to press the Save button at the bottom of the page.
Please note that the ability to activate the radar depends on your license.
After enabling the module, you can configure the default view according to your preferences. To access the Radar Configuration tab, click on the Radar icon on the Entity Configuration interface.
From the Radar Configuration you can make changes to configure your Radar view:
- Define the Radar Label - the title that is shown on the top left side of the Radar. It can be anything you want to name your Radar, and you can use 256 characters maximum. (1)
- Define a Segment type for the Radar. Segments are categorization fields for a specific element type, and they are represented by the Radar. A segment can also have sub-segments. Check out the article on how to define Radar segments to learn more about it. (2)
If you want to set default values for the rating criteria, select one from each dropdown: Shape, Distance, Color, and Size. They will be displayed on the Radar legend. You can use rating criteria as defined from the Rating Configuration or list fields/dropdowns which are indicated as rating criteria to be displayed on the radar.
To visualize the elements of the entities on the Radar, the rating criteria must be defined, activated and assigned beforehand. This can be criteria like market potential or complexity or whatever you need. The attributes associated with the criteria, such as high, medium, and low, can be created as a dropdown field on the corresponding entity using the Field Configuration.
If you want to use attributes from the dropdown fields you created for visualization, you need to select the checkbox "Rating Criteria?" in the respective Field Configuration.
Afterward, you can also select such a dropdown field for the size, color, distance, or shape indication in the radar configuration tab. (3)
You can also configure the Radar view by setting preferred actions active by default. Simply check the boxes to activate an action. (4)
- Show legend by default. This shows the legend left to the radar and will allow users to adjust the indicators for the size, distance, color, and shape
- Show relations by default to present the relations set between the content elements shown on the radar
- Show labels by default to reflect the titles of the content element on the radar
- Show/hide unrated elements to show content elements that have not been rated. Please note that this also applies to dropdown fields that are indicated as rating criteria. Only elements with no ratings at all appear as unrated elements.
- Show/hide N/A elements to show elements that have no distance rating (as per the current distance indicator set). Please note elements at least need to have a segment set for being displayed on the radar.
- Show segments with dynamic size. If active, this option will adjust the size of segments relative to the number of elements put in the segments.
- Show radar as 360°. This will display the radar in a full circle.
- Hide empty segments. If activated, this option will hide all segments that do not contain any content element.
- Please note that these are just default settings and can be configured differently by each user.
Make sure to check the view permissions for the radar setup within the entity-specific permission scheme.
You can access your new radar from the main navigation menu by hovering over the radar section.
To get some inspiration on how to best structure your radar, read on in this article:
How to best segment and split your foresight work