What are Roadmap Scenarios?
Roadmap scenarios allow you to react faster and more efficiently upon upcoming (market) events collaborating with all relevant and affected stakeholders.
Whenever there is a change on the roadmap influenced by an external (e.g. new start-up on the marketing tapping into own existing markets) or internal event (e.g. project delays, necessary extra loop before achieving a milestone), ITONICS Roadmap allows depending on the configured permissions for the following three options:
- Update Roadmap
- Save Scenario
- Reset Roadmap
How to Create Roadmap Scenarios
Depending on the configured roadmap permissions the logged-in user is able to perform the following actions on the roadmap once changes to the start dates, end dates or milestone dates are applied to simulate those external and internal events.
Depending on the configured roadmap permissions the logged-in user is able to update the roadmap with the applied changes directly by clicking the Update Roadmap button. This publishes the changes for all stakeholders that are allowed to access this roadmap.
Depending on the configured roadmap permissions the logged-in user is able to save new scenarios based on the applied changes to start dates, end dates, or milestone dates. For saving a roadmap scenario you can define the following settings:
- Title to find your roadmap scenarios later
- High-level description of why this roadmap scenario has been created
- Visibility to define who has access to this roadmap view:
- “Private” will make it only accessible for the user that saved this roadmap scenario
- “Public” will make it available to every user that has access to view this roadmap
- “Selected users” will make it available to only the selected users, user groups, and user roles
- Option to send a notification to the selected users. Please, note that the notification will only be sent when selecting some specific users and checking the box.
Please note that every saved roadmap scenario is dedicated to a single roadmap and cannot be shared across different roadmaps.
Resetting the roadmap will discard all applied changes without any changes to roadmap data.
Explore and Manage Roadmap Scenarios
Once you have saved a new roadmap scenario you can work with it in the following ways depending on the roadmap permissions configured by the Application Owner:
- Explore and Update Roadmap Scenarios
- Merge Roadmap Scenarios
- Edit Roadmap Scenarios
- Manage Roadmap Scenarios
Explore and Update Roadmap Scenarios
You can explore and update existing scenarios by navigating to the roadmap action “Show Scenario list” and clicking the Open up Scenario icon.
Within the open scenario you and other stakeholders can resolve the conflicts encountered by the external or internal events by changing the start dates, end dates and milestone dates of the affected parts of the roadmap.
Note: In order to properly ensure consistency and correctness of your strategic planning or roadmap planning in general, you can also define rules to calculate a critical path.
All applied changes within the open scenario can be either updated on the open scenario itself or you can merge all changes directly into the roadmap.
Merge Roadmap Scenarios
Once you and other stakeholders have resolved all encountered conflicts, permitted users are allowed to merge the scenario into the main roadmap and therefore update the changes to everyone who has access to the roadmap. You can merge scenarios into the main roadmap in the following ways:
- Navigate to the roadmap action “Show Scenario list” and then click the Merge scenario to Roadmap icon
- Navigate to the roadmap action “Show Scenario list”, open the scenario by clicking on the Open up Scenario button and then click on the Merge to Roadmap button
Edit Roadmap Scenarios
You can edit the title, description or visibility settings of existing roadmap scenarios by navigating to the roadmap action “Show Scenario list” and then click on the Edit icon.
Delete Roadmap Scenarios
You can delete an existing scenario following one of the following ways:
- Navigate to the roadmap action “Show Scenario list” and then click the Delete icon
- Navigate to the Scenario Manage Page via Settings > Roadmap > Scenario Records and then either individually delete the listed scenarios or bulk delete them using the checkboxes (also see next chapter)
Manage Roadmap Scenarios
You can manage all existing roadmap scenarios by navigating to the Scenario Manage Page via Settings > Roadmap > Scenario Records. Here all roadmap scenarios are listed by showing the following information:
- Title - name of the scenario
- Roadmap - which roadmap is this scenario created for
- Status - different scenarios might be “Active” or already “Merged”
- Created - creation date of the scenario
- Created By - the user that created this scenario
- Visibility - who can access this scenario
- Actions - only delete is possible here