In order to populate your ITONICS platform with existing data, you may want to use the dynamic upload interface that adapts to any configured Entity configuration.
Do this by following these steps:
- Go to Settings > Export/Import Data > Excel Import and select the Element type you want to import from the drop-down menu (for example, Trends, Technologies, or Opportunity Spaces). Note that the available Element types depend on your configuration.
- Download the Entity specific import template by clicking on the “Generate Import Template” button on the right-hand side. You can also use already exported data from the excel export.
The generated import template consists of the following columns:
- ID: The ID column expects a positive integer value.
- Link: The link column expects a correct URL as a value. This column is just relevant during the export and therefore can be left empty.
- Created By: The Created By column requires an existing username to set the creator information for the respective Element. If the username does not exist or the cell is not filled, the user which is logged in will be saved as the creator.
- Created At: The Created At column requires a valid date format (yyyy-mm-dd) and sets the create date accordingly. If the column is empty, the current date will be used.
- Edited At: The Edited At column requires a valid date format (yyyy-mm-dd) and sets the edit date accordingly. If the column is empty, the current date will be used.
- Publication Status: The Publication Status requires a string value. You can choose between different values i.e. Draft, Review, Published.
- Archived: The Archived columns require a string value. You can choose between the options “yes” (= is archived) and “no” (= is not archived).
- All single-line input fields require a string without any formatting or html tags included. You can apply different validators to the single-line input field, which changes the expected string value:
- The email validator requires a valid email address (email@example.com.)
- The URL validator requires a valid URL ([https://www.]domain.top-level-domain/path).
- The number validator requires a valid float number (1024.12 for English language and 1024,12 for German language). Please note that leading zeros are being stripped during import.
- If you use any content which is forbidden then it will not be imported, the field will be empty. However, if the field is required, then it will show a validation message while importing.
- All simple text fields require a string without any formatting or html tags included.
- All rich text fields (e.g. "Definition & Scope") require a string that can include formatting or html tags (e.g. <p>...</p>). Please see the detailed possibilities of the Rich Text Fields here.
- The Profile Image column can be populated in two ways:
- Add an external URL link to an image that is available online (Right-click on the image > Copy Image Link).
- Add a local image file that should be available in the image directory. You can upload a zip file containing your image files via Settings > Export / Import Data > Zip / Image Imports to populate the image directory. The zip file is automatically unzipped. If you have an image "green-supply-chain.png", it should be populated in that directory, whereas in the Excel file, you will just write "green-supply-chain.png".
- All dropdown fields (e.g. "Maturity Level") requires the exact value of the respective field options. Please note that this string is case-sensitive and will only map correctly if there is a 100% match with the configured field options. If your input does not match any of the configured values of that dropdown field, the system will ignore the field during import.
- All user search fields (e.g. "Internal Experts") require the actual usernames of the respective to-be-linked users.
- All date picker fields require a valid date format (yyyy-mm-dd).
Note: all multiple values like Tags, multi-select dropdown fields, multi-select user search fields, or links from the reference section need to be separated using the semicolon (";") as the delimiter.
3. Prepare the Excel file and save.
4. Upload it to the platform by clicking the Choose file button.
You can also select an option to:
- Select unique identifier: Choose the unique identifier. This selection will determine on which field the tool should do the match-making if you update Elements via the import.
- Import as Draft: Only new Elements will be imported as drafts, while existing Elements will not be affected by this option.
- Skip/Ignore existing Elements: This will prevent overwriting existing fields and Elements.
- Skip workflow phase: The first workflow phase will be allocated to the imported Elements. If the box remains unchecked each Element will be allocated to the defined workflow phase.
After finishing all the above-mentioned steps, Upload the Excel file to the platform by clicking the Import button.
If the import was successful, a success message will be displayed.
If the import identifies errors, warnings, or missing values the import will be canceled by showing the identified issues.